If you’re an avid reader of any UK SEO blogs you should have noticed posts about the recent shift with foreign (predominantly American) sites, outranking many UK sites on certain search terms. The problem has been seen under a wide selection of search phrases from many SEO companies / individuals in the UK. There have also been some indicated of the problem reserved with UK sites ranking well in Australia search results.
So what have we seen?
– 1st / 2nd page can seem unaffected with no movement at all.
– Around 10-30 sites rank from the 2nd / 3rd page thus pushing rankings 2 to 3 pages down.
– Domains are .com and hosting in foreign country or have a country specific TLD e.g. ww.domain.be
What should you do?
– Continue to add relevant unique content to your site be that news or a blog
– Continue to build links to the site, don’t increase this rate rapidly.
– Read SEO blogs to track the changes.
– Clean up any errors showing on Google Webmaster Tools, doesn’t have any effect just something to take your mind of the problem.
– Don’t panic and sit this problem out, Google should* reverse this problem.
* Nothing is guaranteed but with so much talk about this problem in the UK Google has to rectify this problem.
The issue seen by many UK SEO companies is that when Google makes a change such as the one seen you can’t really do much to rectify it. Clients will be annoyed about this stance but you can only sit it out and wait for the Search Engine to update, explain the issue to clients and keep them up to date. Most importantly you can’t really complain about Google, for all we know they could shut down tomorrow and there is nothing we can do about it!
I do have one idea that could help thanks to Bing. Collective pressure from UK SEO companies on Google to either publically acknowledge the problem or get a fix in place. The only way this could succeed is by getting the issue in the public domain, on the BBC, ITV, Sky News etc. This then forces Google into doing something to prevent losing users to Bing, which is actually succeeding in being decent alternative to Google for UK public.
If you want to read up more on this or need proof to see that this isn’t an isolated case then here are 11 articles on the problem.
Google American Results Conspiracy – Fresh Egg
Google uk mixing in us based queries – SEOptimise
Google UK Serps Com On Down – North South Media
The mystery of the UK SERPS – updated – Search Cow Boys
Will the Real Google Search Results Please Stand Up – SEO Design Solutions
Is Google’s Geo Targeting Off In Web Search? – Search Engine Round Table
UK Ranking Problems – UK Business Forums
Poor State of UK search today – Andrew Girdwood – Big Mouth Media
If you have any more, add them into a comment below and I’ll add them to the above list. Do you think collective pressure would get a responce from Google?